So here are the rules behind The $21 Challenge:
- The week starts on Friday, and runs until end of day on the following Thursday.
- The $21 is to cover all meals during that time period (i.e. no eating out to “save” our grocery budget).
- Anything other than food falls outside of the $21 Challenge and will not be counted. For example, we need laundry detergent this week, and conditioner. No way that I’d be able to work that into such a meager food budget.
- No “stocking up” on the day before the challenge starts. Though believe me — the thought did cross my mind. heh.
- There will be full disclosure here on the blog to keep me accountable.
To be honest, last night when I was having a look over everything that’s in our fridge, freezer and pantry cupboard I’m wondering how much of a challenge this is really going to be for us. Apparently I have a bit of a food hoarding problem. Well…..maybe hoarding is the wrong word. Let’s call it “stocking up” instead. In some ways I think the biggest challenge for me will be to pass up on all the great deals I see while we’re spending our $21 food allowance because they won’t fit into our budget. 😉
As Friday draws closer and I plan out our meals for the week, I have to admit, I’m actually getting a wee bit excited about this challenge. I’m nerding out on being thrifty! You may have send help. 😉
Until next time,